FAT32 corruption writing from Linux

David Woyciesjes woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 7 16:55:46 UTC 2005

Alex Janssen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am having trouble with a mounted FAT32 file system.  I've never
> experienced this before.
> I set up the  30GB FAT32 partition, created with Win XP, to share data
> between WinXP and Linux on a dual-boot system.
>
> Some times, more often than not, Windows reports crosslinked files and
> invalid FAT entries after writing to this drive with Linux apps,
> Thunderbird and GIMP I have seen cause this because I use them most
> often with this partition.

	You might want to check out Microsoft's web site. I seem to recall
reading about a ~30GB limit for FAT 32 partitions. Or that might apply
to Windows 98 on a FAT32 partition.
	Either way, you might want to try shrinking it down to 25GB or so, and
see what happens.

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818