kind of off topic (remote file access with Windows)

Jack Jackson jackson.linux at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 13:26:54 UTC 2005

Sorry if this comes twice: smtp problems this morning.

hi,
I tunnel SMB all the time and it works great; I mount the drive from
across the world!

sudo ssh -L 139:localhost:139 -l username server.name.com -N -f"

will set it up and fork the tunnel into the background once established

sudo mount -t smbfs //localhost/public /home/user/samba_share -o \
user=user,password=password,uid=userid,gid=users,fmask=666

mounts it (if you have the right stuff in fstab)

HTH