pppoe at boot?

Brian Walker bfwalker at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 07:37:52 UTC 2005

Greetings all,

I need to use PPPoE to connect to the net. Each time I reboot the computer,
I need to establish a connection as the routing seems to fail. Googling and
making use of this forum, I added: pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up to
/etc/network/interfaces, and netstat -rn after rebooting tells me:

 Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface

202.64.10.27 <http://202.64.10.27> 0.0.0.0 <http://0.0.0.0> 255.
255.255.255UH 0 0 0 ppp0
192.168.2. 0 0.0.0.0 <http://0.0.0.0> 255.255.255.0 <http://255.255.255.0> U
0 0 0 eth0
0.0.0.0 <http://0.0.0.0> 192.168.2.1 <http://192.168.2.1>
0.0.0.0<http://0.0.0.0>UG 0 0 0 eth0

And I cannot connect to net or download mail.

Then I need to sudo poff, ifdown eth0 and pppoeconf. The resulting table
from netstat -rn is:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface
202.64.10.27 <http://202.64.10.27> 0.0.0.0 <http://0.0.0.0>
255.255.255.255<http://255.255.255.255>UH 0 0 0 ppp0
0.0.0.0 <http://0.0.0.0> 202.64.10.27 <http://202.64.10.27>
0.0.0.0<http://0.0.0.0>UG 0 0 0 ppp0

What do I need to do to automate this at boot time?

Brian