HUGE Virtual Memory Usage

Matt Patterson matt at v8zman.com
Thu Oct 6 16:34:33 UTC 2005

I assumed it had to be something like that. Thanks for the info. Is the
"Resident Memory" section also a shared measurement? It seems like a
much more realistic value for each app (10's of megs).

Another question: If using a shared library requires it to be loaded
into ram, and that means huge ram usage as I am seeing because the
modules are large, would it not be more memory efficient (I know it
wastes hard disk space) to simply statically link apps instead of
dynamically. Then apps wouldnt have dependency issues and they would
only load the necessary routines into memory? Of course there would be
redundancy in memory because each app could load the same functions, but
still.

Matt