Hoary and Fluxbox...SLOW startup!!!

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Thu Oct 6 08:45:05 UTC 2005

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 01:55:29 -0400
"'Forum Post" <ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org>, '@wailuku.xlogicgroup.com wrote:

> I want to use ubunbu and am currently useing gentoo. Do I need to
> compile manulally fluxbox or can I get a pre-compiled version useing
> apt-get which I am told I am suspose to use. Why or why not

Read the whole thread: I give a walk through of my fix for the slowness issue and other tips.

See also:

https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+sources/fluxbox/+bug/1866

The latest source code for fluxbox ( 0.9.14) fixes the issue on Hoary. You can get it here:

http://fluxbox.org/

or direct link for a source tarball

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/fluxbox/fluxbox-0.9.14.tar.bz2

If you use this later source version you don't need to do ./configure --disable-xmb

One hopes this will be fixed in the breezy version (I haven't tried the breezy deb as I'm still on hoary)

Peter
--

Linux User #343161