Limited Screen Resolution Choices

Carroll Grigsby cgrigs at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 5 13:31:30 UTC 2005

Richard Querin wrote:
> On 10/4/05, 'Forum Post <ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org> wrote:
>

>>sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>>
>>remove all the resolutions you dont like
>>

> I did this (as pasted into my initial post) but the resolution choices when
> I use the Preferences->Screen Resolution in the Gnome menus does NOT match
> the possible choices I've left in the xorg.conf file.
>
> The xorg.conf file only shows 1280x1024, 1152x864, and 1024x768.
>
> The choices I'm given are: 1280x1024, 1024x768, 800x600, 640x480
>
> This makes no sense to me.
>
> RQ

Richard:

You might get a hint from /var/log/Xorg.0.log. There's a section in
there where each of the card's possible screen resolutions are tested
against the capabilities of the monitor, and those that are unworkable
for your system are discarded along with a short explanation of why that
particular combination was excluded.

-- cmg