Where is a PATH corrupted under the GNOME

Michael R. Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Wed Oct 5 05:52:55 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-23 at 09:20 +0300, audriusb at homelan.lt wrote:
> Quoting "ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY" <zamb at spymac.com>:
>
> Thanks, settings in ~/.bashrc aren't redefined.
> Standard place for system-wide settings allways was /etc/profile or
> /etc/profile.local. I haven't found profile.local in HOARY; settings in
> /etc/profile are redefined.
> I think that UBUNTU designers made a bug here: there is no room for system-wide
> settings and I had to modify .bashrc for every user.
> New Linuxes designers should respect UNIX standards and agreements. Isn't it?

gdm is not a login shell, so .bash_profile and /etc/profile are not
execed. Only text console and ssh logins calling bash as a login shell
will source those files, if I'm not mistaken.

From `man bash`:

FILES
       /bin/bash
              The bash executable
       /etc/profile
              The systemwide initialization file, executed for login shells
       /etc/bash.bashrc
              The systemwide per-interactive-shell startup file
       /etc/bash_logout
              The  systemwide  login shell cleanup file, executed when a login
              shell exits
       ~/.bash_profile
              The personal initialization file, executed for login shells
       ~/.bashrc
              The individual per-interactive-shell startup file
       ~/.bash_logout
              The individual login shell cleanup file, executed when  a  login
              shell exits
       ~/.inputrc
              Individual readline initialization file