Limited Screen Resolution Choices

Richard Querin rfquerin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 02:20:19 UTC 2005

On 10/4/05, 'Forum Post <ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org> wrote:

> X is running at the best resolution it knows how to.
>
> more pixles is always better - right?
>

> if you want to force it to choose a lower resolution, you could edit
> the xorg.conf file, just remove the higher resolutions.

I'm not sure if I was clear or not. I can run at 1024x768 if I want, but the
1152x864 choice is missing entirely. So it's either giving me 1280x1024 (too
small) or 1024x768 (too large). My xorg.conf file lists the 1152x864
resolution, but it doesn't show up as a choice in the dialog. Also, I'm
wondering how I can remove the 800x600 and 640x480 choices from the xorg
configuration entirely, and yet they still show up in the dialog. And I have
re-booted the machine to check, not just restarted x.