Shuttleworth Releases a FAQ on Ubuntu, Canonical, et. al

'Forum Post ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Tue Oct 4 16:10:01 UTC 2005

Norman Silverstone Wrote:
> Indeed, a most interesting and informative read. Question - can a
> dictator be benevolent or is there a contradiction of terms somewhere? I believe that, yes, a dictator can be benevolent.

While I appreciate living in a democracy I am not convinced it is
*-always-* the best government, especially when the voting masses are
uneducated and therefore don't understand the issues. Then you get
people elected based on popularity contests, sound bites, raw emotional
appeals, and how good they look on camera [EDIT: forgot the ability to
raise money and please special interest groups] instead of intellect,
compassion and ability. Are dictatorships good? Not usually, but it
isn't the form of government that is inherently bad, it is almost
always the leader.

I prefer the image of a benevolent and wise king.

--
matthew