VMWare Tools and Ubuntu - Text mode login.

Shot - Piotr Szotkowski shot at hot.pl
Tue Oct 4 13:27:43 UTC 2005

Hello.

Vagmi Mudumbai:

> I need to install the VMWare tools package on it. But VMWare tools
> needs to be run outside the 'X' mode. How do I boot to a text only
> mode.

You don't have to boot. Just log out to GDM, Ctrl-Alt-F1 to the first
virtual console, login there, run `sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop` and
install the tools. After installing, run `sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start`
to run GDM again.

Cheers,
-- Shot (not writing from experience, though)
--
       Smalltalk programmers do not type, they lean their heads towards
       their monitors, and meditate. The more advanced programmers do