Hoary and k3b cannot write

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Oct 4 13:03:20 UTC 2005

Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

>> It shouldn't run _from_ root, and
>> quite possibly (depending on the kernel you're using) can't run suid
>> root. Instead, you should have the device owned by group 'cdrom' and
>> yourself added to the group. If you still can't write CDs at that point,
>> then you need cdrecord/cdrdao to be suid root - but that is done in the
>> K3B setup.
>>
> So I did it as you suggest, and K3b can build an image, but not write it.
> It recognizes my burner by brand and model, but never reports any actual
> burner progress or writing speed. Just nothing. Progress remains at 50%
> when the first 50 is building the image. An hour later it's still 50%.

Sorry, this isn't familiar to me.  If you have a 2.6.8+ kernel, and cdrecord
is suid root, you get warned when you start up K3b.  If you aren't in the
cdrom group, you get an error when it tries to write.  If you've got the CD
upside down, it tells you no media, and opens the drawer (I do that all the
time :-) ).  I have a really vague recollection that this _might_ have
happened once, but I can't think why.

Normally, if I set the burner speed to maximum and then start to burn
something, I'll see a series of messages informing me that it's set certain
options on the burner (like burnfree), it tests to figure out what writing
speeed it can use - and generally lowers it to 10X (probably the media I'm
using) - and then starts writing.
--
derek