Azureus and Java Installs

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY zamb at saudi.net.sa
Tue Oct 4 11:13:56 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 22:30 -0500, Charles Malespin wrote:
> I went and did the
> sudo apt-get install j2re1.4
> command but it gave me this...
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Package j2re1.4 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
> This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
> is only available from another source
> E: Package j2re1.4 has no installation candidate
As I said, Ubuntu can't package Sub's Java for legal reasons.
Hopefully, this will change somehow in Breezy.

>   plus when I do $ java -version  I get:
> java version "1.5.0_03"
> Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_03-b07)
> Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_03-b07, mixed mode, sharing)
>   which means I have the newest version installed.
Most likely you installed Sun's Java by running their install script.
You didn't build a DEB package for it and that's why Synaptic can't know
that you have Java installed.

> This is what I thought all along, but for some reason synaptic doesnt
> see this and wont let me get Azureus because of depend.  with it.  Am
> I good with this java package to just go ahead and install Azureus
> from their website?
It did work for me this way.  The version of Azureus in the Ubuntu
repository is slightly outdated, so I went ahead and installed the one
form their web site on my home directory and it did work well.

> And do I need to install it in a certain folder etc to make sure it
> works with java?
No.  As long as "java -version" works, all you need is to download
Azureus for Linux/GTK2 and unpack it in your home directory and run (or
double click) the "azureus" script that came with it.

> Thanks,
> Charles

Please, follow the instructions in the "Restricted Format" about Java
and you should eliminate a lot of Java related problems.  It's very
easy.

Ziyad.