VMWare Tools and Ubuntu - Text mode login.

'Forum Post ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Tue Oct 4 03:05:29 UTC 2005

> Your best bet is to do Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to shut down GDM and X.

That works well if you are running Windows as your host operating
system.  If you are running Ubuntu within a VM on Ubuntu then that
doesn't work so well...as you might imagine.

I find that I have to restart the VM and select the 'recovery' mode
from the grub menu in order to get a command-line.

I don't know what version of VMWare that the OP is using, but VMWare
5.x tools install just fine from a terminal prompt within X.  It is
actually intended to be installed from there.

--
mlomker