Hoary and k3b cannot write

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Oct 3 18:46:45 UTC 2005

R.L.Reingard wrote:

>> Am 03.10.2005, 19:33 Uhr, schrieb Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman at gmail.com>:
>> I've trying k3b for the first time, with no joy.
>> When I start k3b as root, I get a number of messages:
>> root at maguire:~ # k3b
>> Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the
>> authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based
>> authentication failed
>> Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the
>> authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based
>> authentication failed
>> kbuildsycoca running...
>> ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 24583, errno = 0
>> k3b: WARNING: KGenericFactory: instance requested but no instance name or
>> about data passed to the constructor!
>
> no, sorry. why you don't try GNOMEBAKER (or Graveman) which does run
> nicely in Gnome.

Why would you even suspect he uses Gnome?  There's nothing in there to
suggest it.

Kevin, why are you starting it as root?  It shouldn't run _from_ root, and
quite possibly (depending on the kernel you're using) can't run suid root.
Instead, you should have the device owned by group 'cdrom' and yourself
added to the group.  If you still can't write CDs at that point, then you
need cdrecord/cdrdao to be suid root - but that is done in the K3B setup.

"Authentication" is required by X - you can not, generally, run X apps from
a terminal owned by root.  That's why we have gksu and kdesu commands.
--
derek