[breezy] complete freeze with the nvidia unfree driver

James Livingston jrl at ids.org.au
Mon Oct 3 12:25:52 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 13:39 +0200, Bertrand Haut wrote:
> > The problem appears to be that X is becoming
> > _completely_ wedged, as the mouse moves if I have the hardware cursors
> > enabled, but not if I have software cursors enabled.
>
> How can you see if you have software or hardware cursors enabled and how can
> you changed it ? I want to check if that changes something in my case.

There is an option to change it in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. If you add
'Option "HWCursor" "true"' inside the Device section it will use
hardware cursors, and the same with false will use software cursors -
although I'm not sure what the default is.

When using hardware-cursors the graphics card controls the cursor, so
when X hangs you will still be able to move the cursor around. When
using software-cursors X controls the cursor, so when it hangs you won't
be able to move the cursor.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and
wrong. -- H. L. Mencken