Spare computer without HDD

Thomas Beckett thomas.beckett at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 11:15:24 UTC 2005

On 10/3/05, Ninad Bapat <freeninad at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
>   I have a spare PC without HDD. It has a Celeron 500 64 mb ram 1810chipset
> and a ASUS 52X Cdrom drive.Does not support CD booting
>
>  I also have a fully functional PC Pentium 2.4ghz, 256mb RAM, CDRand DVD
> combo drive, 845GVSR chipset, 2 40g HDD's
>  used for daily needs
>
>  What use can this diskless PC be put to in combination to the new one.
>
>  Thanks
>  Ninad

You could always put one of your two hard disks from the newer
computer into the older one if you dont need them both in the newer
one.

More usefull may be to use the Linux Terminal Server stuff to make it
a thin client. It can then use network booting and your newer computer
could serve it a session. Ive never done this myself but I have read
that it can be done quite easily. If you do want to try it then i
would suggest that you install the Breezy version on your newer
computer as it has LTSP stuff inetegrated better aparently.

http://www.ltsp.org/

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ThinClientHowto

Tom