Synaptic does not resume partial package downloads

Alan E. Davis lngndvs at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 05:41:50 UTC 2005

I had been installing a package that was about 10MB, when our network
choked. I think the download of that file had been about 5MB into the
download. I know about wget, and I have done it---in fact, these posts
inspired me to do so today. However, am I completely daft, when I say that I
am certain that debian package handlers have been picking up where they left
off in such downloads? Ubuntu really caught my attention when that happened
to me.

I've been having a lot of trouble with this network, which has aggravated
problems with ephemeral repositories. I have OFTEN had the experience of a
package which showed up in Synaptic yesterday, not being found with a
synaptic search today. Perhaps a setting to automatically update daily?
Maybe, I theorize, this would cause the package file to be deleted or
partially overwritten?

Today, the net is back up, so I'm going to stop complaining and get moving.

Alan Davis

On 10/3/05, Lionel <lionelv at gmail.com> wrote:

> Alan E. Davis wrote:
> > I may be wrong, but my past experience suggests (inconclusively) that
> > aborted downloads are resumed the next time around. Perhaps that is the
> > behavior of apt-get?
>
> That's what we are saying . . .
>
> Lionel.

~/.signature