Help creating my own 2D lib.

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY zamb at saudi.net.sa
Sun Oct 2 23:47:07 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-02 at 18:57 -0400, Rogelio Nodal wrote:
> Hello list,
>
>   I would like to create a high level 2D lib using SDL, and I was
> wondering if it was possible to compile my lib
>   in a way that, the application that is being compiled does not need
> the SDL headers and does not need the
>   SDL lib. If it is possible, how it's done?Also what is the diff of a
> static lib vs a shared one, and which one
>   should I use for my goal. Thanks a lot for your time.
>

> -R

First:
        After compiling your application you never need the header
        files, as they already served their purpose.

Second:
        Link your application statically against "libSDL" (yes, that's
        the difference between dynamic/shared linking and a static one).
        See "gcc" and "ld" manuals for more information about
        compiling/linking applications.

        (Also, there's another way:  use "dlopen()" to load the "libSDL"
        from the current (or another known) directory.  You need to
        distribute the "libSDL.so" (or "libSDL.dll" under Windows, but I
        have no idea if "dlopen()" works the same way in that land) file
        with your application, though.  For more information about
        "dlopen()" see the manual page.)

I hope this was helpful.  I'm not an expert in C/C++, but I'm almost
sure the above information is correct.
Ziyad.