How to switch the window manager

Karl Hegbloom hegbloom at pdx.edu
Sun Oct 2 20:29:33 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-09-04 at 18:08 +0200, Juanma Barranquero wrote:
> I'm using Ubuntu, and I'm reasonably happy with Gnome but metacity is
> really a bit short on features, so I'm giving a try to Enlightenment
> (DR16, the just-a-window-manager version, not the shinny but yet
> unfinished DR17, total-windowing-environment one).
>
> Well, I've had no trouble getting it with
>
>   sudo apt-get install enlightenment
>
> but, what do I do now to convince GDM that I want to use Enlightenment
> as default window manager?

Open [System --> Preferences --> Sessions], and then in the "Current
Session" tab, find 'metacity' and highlight it with a mouse click.  Set
its style to "normal", then click the "Apply" button.

Open a terminal emulator, and run this command, substituting the command
name of your chosen window manager where I have chosen Sawfish below:

 killall metacity && sawfish </dev/null >/dev/null 2>&1 & disown %1; gnome-session-save

Click "Ok" on the dialog box.  It is now running your chosen window
manager, and that change should remain when you next log in.

--
Karl Hegbloom <hegbloom at pdx.edu>