LVM or not? Install Breezy

Craig Hagerman craighagerman at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 07:32:39 UTC 2005

On 10/1/05, Eric S. Johansson <esj at harvee.org> wrote:

> there are only two reasons to install LVM.  if you needed and if you are
> learning about it.  here is a rough rule of thumb for whether you need
> LVM or not.  Do you need the ability to resize partitions or allocate
> only a portion of your disk now but add empty disk space to other
> partitions later?  Do you need to back up the entire partitions while
> they are being used (i.e. snapshots).

Good info Eric. Thanks. What if you have already installed Ubuntu
WITHOUT LVM, and later want it. Is is possible to change things after
an install?

I installed ubuntu recently and didn't choose the LVM option. But I
want to add another big harddive soon and would prefer to have the new
drive and the big partition from the existing drive to be seen as a
single disc. A bit of investigation and I found out I probably should
have set it up with LVM originally. Whoops. Is it possible to redo
things now?

Craig