Digital camera, picture printing

Andy Choens gunksta at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 20:41:15 UTC 2005

> A quick search in synaptic showed...
>
> Gnome Photo Printer is intended for printing photos in an easy way. Just
> drag your Photos from Nautilus to the Gnome Photo Printer window and
> drop it. Make some selections like Photo or Paper size, hit Preview or
> Print, and see your pictures printed.
>
> F-Spot is meant to be an easy-to-use photo management application. It
> allows for importing of your existing photo collections, tagging photos
> with identifiers, as well as doing simple edits of photos (e.g.
> rotating).

I would still stick to gtumb. F-spot is still young and immature. I think
it's going to be a great app, but it's not there yet. For instance, I can't
look at a photo in F-spot, and easily open it in gimp, which would make
sense, since F-spot's photo editing capabilities are practially
non-existent. But, it won't let me do that. I would have to find the file
with nautilus. But, in gthumb, this is a right click away.

I also find that in full screen mode F-spot tends to render my pics very
slowly. I can see it making a second pass. On a machine as powerful as mine,
there's no excuse for this. It's still too slow to display large files
quickly. Again, not the case in gthumb.

My only hope is that as F-spot matures, and start to really replace gthumb
as the GNOME photo app of choice, that it imports gthumbs comments and
categories. This will make moving over so much easier.

--andy