Where's the SFTP client?

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Wed Nov 30 20:42:29 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 30 November 2005 20:34, Luca Manganelli wrote:
> On 11/30/05, Daniel Robitaille wrote:
> >
> > it's available:
> >
> > $ which sftp
> > /usr/bin/sftp
>
> right, but I want a graphical client...

(top posting fixed)

If you were using KDE you could simply fire up Konqueror and instead of the
usual "http/https" urls, you simply type "sftp://user@host/" and voila!
Pretty GUI sftp client.

If the remote machine doesn't talk sftp, try fish; "fish://user@host/".
There's heaps of other URI prefixes too:

smb:// (for windows/samba shares)
nfs:// (for NFS shares)
man:/ (for reading man pages - eg, man:/sftp)
info:/ (for readin GNU info pages - eg, info:/gzip)
even, imap://
...plus heaps more :)  Google "KIOSLAVE"

Gnome is great, but I can't go past KDE's simplicity and tight integration
(but with 2GB RAM in my lappy and desktop, it works *really* well! ;) )

Cheers,

James
--
"Catch a wave and you're sitting on top of the world."
- The Beach Boys