Ubuntu's unstable vs Debian unstable

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Nov 30 18:01:07 UTC 2005

Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:

>>From what I read on the lists it seems that Ubuntu's unstable is
> generally more broken than Debian's, making me feel safer using Sid.
> Could anyone confirm this.

Not categorically, since I no longer use Sid, but Dapper's not seriously
broken.  It upgrades fine, but I wouldn't want to try a dist-upgrade this
week - most of KDE is not yet converted to use kdelibs4c2a, and will get
removed (which may even be only because I installed the KDE 3.5 RC from
kubuntu.org - if I'd waited for 3.5 to show up in Dapper, I may have
avoided this).  I'm sure this will straighten out within days.

Same sort of problem with plone, which is waiting for a number of zope
updates.

I always had the same problems, intermittently, with Sid - the unstable
branches will have periods where they're not internally consistent, but
they're not usually a big deal as long as you don't just blithely use
"dist-upgrade" without checking for consequences.
--
derek