Getting frustrated with Ubuntu....

ulrich steffens ulrich at barfuss-jerusalem.org
Tue Nov 29 03:51:04 UTC 2005

Am Montag, den 28.11.2005, 13:10 -0800 schrieb Lee H.:
> On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 20:22:11 +0100, you wrote:
>

> >lee,
> >where is the point in choosing ubuntu as a distribution and then *not*
> >taking advantage of *any* of its features?
> >

> I like Ubuntu because, when I tried it earlier this year, I found it to
> be the most user-friendly distro I've tried.  I like the philosopy
> behind it and, after on-and-off lurking on this list for a few months, I
> like the helpfulness and good will that is exhibited on this mailing
> list.  I like the fact that it detected my hardware and nearly
> everything just works.
>
> That being said, if I wanted a full suite of programs and add-ons that
> someone else has decided I want, some of which I'll never use--if I want
> my hand held all the time, I might as well stay with Windows or one of
> the big-name distros.  I'm obsessive-compulsive--I want to be able to
> pick and choose the "features" I use.  I thought that was what Linux was
> all about.
>
> If I go for the all-encompassing, automatic installation won't it make
> it that much harder to learn the basics?     :)
>
> If you can suggest a better way, please do.

hi lee,
i think you're a little confused about what basics are.
i would define basics as knowing you're way around in a *functional*
linux and not building a linux from scratch. i don't know what linux is
all about, but i doubt it's designed to let someone without any
knowledge of the os build its own system from ground up. what you're
trying to do is achievable, but not if your only experience is
installing ubuntu once, looking around and bam! there you go :)

and a better way i can suggest:
install ubuntu the way it is supposed to be and *use* it. that way,
you'll learn how linux works and what it is for yourself. at the moment
you're trying to build your own car without even knowing how to drive it
and it's not surprising if this ends in frustration. try to figure out
how you add things you want and customise the stuff you dislike, this
should keep you busy for plenty of time.

the strength (and success) of ubuntu is that someone actually made
decisions for you. that someone pulled a nice collection of tools
togheter that mostly just work. it's stuff like that that makes users
happy.

and if you're going to add stuff outside of ubuntus repos:
install 'maintguide' to learn how to build you're own packages. or if
you're lazy have a look at 'checkinstall'

have fun

ulrich
--
ulrich steffens