Getting frustrated with Ubuntu....

Lee H. spamless_mr.sisyphus at shaw.ca
Tue Nov 29 00:36:21 UTC 2005

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 13:47:17 -0700, you wrote:

>> Fluxbox takes much, much longer to load but is the only one that picked
>> up on the fact that Opera was installed.
>
>"apt-get install menu" would have probably fixed that.

Cool!  I didn't know there was such a command.  I've skimmed the list of
available programs in Synaptic several times but there are so many I
just can't digest them all.

>You really went about this the hard way, didn't you? ;-)

I prefer to think of it as the "educational" way.  :)
When you're new, no matter how many books you have and websites you
visit, you don't know all the available ways.  Whichever way you pick,
someone's always going to come along and say:  "What you should have
done was .....")   :)

>I gather you are speaking of manual downloads and not downloading via apt?

Yes.  Software that is not (yet) available via apt.

>If that is the case there is not place you're "supposed" to download
>stuff to other than your home directory or any subdirectory you create
>in it.  I have a directory I created just for this purpose.   "
>"~/Downloads"

Just like I did it in Windows.

>If you like GNOME but want it lightweight I'd recommend XFCE instead of
>GNOME. Like GNOME, it relies on GTK2 so any GTK2 app you install will
>blend in very nicely.
>
>"sudo apt-get install x-window-system-core xfce4"

Thank you.  I'll certainly try that.

>The closest thing Linux has to Agent is Pan which was patterned after
>Agent (much like Evolution was patterned after Outlook).  However, it's
>    News-only. No email.  Pan is a GTK2-based app as well.
>
>"sudo apt-get install pan"
>
>http://pan.rebelbase.com/

I'll check it out later.

Thanks so much for your input!