Getting frustrated with Ubuntu....

Lee H. spamless_mr.sisyphus at shaw.ca
Tue Nov 29 00:24:44 UTC 2005

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 19:55:15 +0000, you wrote:

>how did you install gnome? it looks like you installed the ubunut-desktop
>package. this is a metapackage. it just make sure that a list of packages
>get installed, in this case all the default ubunut applications and gnome.
>if you remove ubuntu desktop then you can remove things like firefox.

Er...ummm....:  sudo apt-get install gnome

Is there such a thing as:  sudo apt-get uninstall gnome  ??    :)

>the x server gets started by gdm at boot. there are instructions to stop
>this happening here http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php

No thread shown, but if it's there, I'll find it!

>coming to linux with lots of windows knowledge is very difficult. you
>can probably make windows do what ever you want it to do, and its very
>frustrating that you can't do the same with linux. also changing from being
>a guru to a newbie is intimidating (though you are past the newbie stage).
>
>have a read of this post http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=58017

That is a great read!  Thank you!

>> 1.  When downloading software from various sources, where is the default
>> place I'm supposed to download it to?
>
>do you downloading .debs, or .tar.gz (source packages). there is not really
>anywhere special you should download them to. dpkg, or the installer script
>will put all the program files in the right place.

I've read elsewhere that I can just create my own directory.  Cool!  I
had thought that there was a default where downloads had to go to so
Linux could find them.

>you are better off using apt-get or synaptic to install things.

Only if those things are available via apt-get or synaptic.  I was
thinking of other stuff--BOINC/Seti for example.

>> 2.  Is it possible to install just the GUI part of Gnome without all the
>> excess baggage it brings with it?
>
>yes see above

You say yes, another poster says no, or at least "I don't think so".
This could get interesting.  :)

>> 3a.  How do I change the refresh rate so I can use Gnome?  The other
>> GUIs I've tried are watchable with no flickering.  Why is Gnome
>> different?

>this is odd, i dont think it should happen.

I don't think it "should happen" either.  I'm sure some more research
will get that problem licked.

>> 4.  At some time, I do want to attempt to compile a Kernel suited to my
>> machine.  I've found the instructions on the Wiki and they look good.
>> Are there any "Gotchas" or things I should look out for?
>
>this is quite an advanced thing to do. it is quite possible to build a
>kernel that misses out a driver that you need to boot. if you follow some
>instructions carefully then you should be ok

I understand the difficulty having made several unsuccessful attempts in
the past.  Sometimes I think I've got too many sets of instructions, and
no two of them read exactly the same.

It's just when I read the boot up goings-on and see things like
"starting raid drivers" I can't help but think "I don't need that.  It's
got to go."  Surely there's lots more I can do without.

>i use thunderbird, but i imagine thats not what you want.

Yes, it isn't.  :)

Thanks.  It looks like I'm going to have a fun Winter.

Lee H.