removing compiled things?

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Mon Nov 28 20:40:26 UTC 2005

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 15:11:57 -0400
David Gonzalez Rivera <ubuntu at davidgonz.com> wrote:

> I have compiled thunderbird 1.6a1, but I did that on accident, I want to
> remove it now, i tried doing a 'make clean' and well i thought it would
> remove it, how can i remove compiled apps? (by compiled i mean "home
> made" compilation)

It depends. ;-)

Sometimes there's an uninstall script in the source directory and you
can run

sudo make uninstall

usually by default compiled apps land in the /usr/local directories
with the binary in /usr/local/bin , so if all else fails you can take
a look in that directory tree and simply remove what you don't need.

If you are compiling things it makes life much easier to use the
checkinstall utility, which makes a .deb for you that you can
uninstall if you wish. You just substitute

sudo checkinstall

for

sudo make install

in the

./configure
make
sudo make install

 incantation

$ apt-cache show checkinstall

(snipped)

Filename: pool/universe/c/checkinstall/checkinstall_1.5.3-3_all.deb
Size: 34848
MD5sum: a7131efd3f4c2787852c1a2f8f036db0
 CheckInstall keeps track of all the files created or
 modified by your installation script ("make install"
 "make install_modules", "setup", etc), builds a
 standard binary package and installs it in your
 system giving you the ability to uninstall it with your
 distribution's standard package management utilities.
Bugs: mailto:ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Origin: Ubuntu

Peter

-------