Elimination of Windows on my Laptop

Timothy A. Holmes tholmes at mcaschool.net
Mon Nov 28 13:54:42 UTC 2005

Hi folks:

I am quickly gaining ground on totally doing away with Windoze on my
laptop.  I have a few programs that I need to find good replacements
for, any suggestions would be appreciated.

1. Hyperterm -- see my other message
2. talking to my domain member servers (win2003 domain -- full active
directory, authenticate with Kerberos (I suspect that a samba install
will solve this, ive done it lots of times in fedora -- any gottchas in
Ubuntu???)

3. Replacement for windows media player for watching DVDs

4. Macromedia Flash paper generation

5. Good VPN program -- that's easy to config -- GUI is ideal -- Ive
played with this some and had some suggestions, but haven't been able to
get it to work right yet -- a comprehensive HOW-TO would be sweet if
anyone knows of one.

I think that's about it...

It would be nice to never have to boot windows on that computer

TIM

Timothy A. Holmes
IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher

Medina Christian Academy
A Higher Standard...

Jeremiah 33:3
Jeremiah 29:11