kubuntu logo on boot screen

Ewan Mac Mahon ewan at macmahon.me.uk
Sun Nov 27 22:21:02 UTC 2005

On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 04:50:13PM +0100, Thilo Six wrote:
> Peter Garrett schrieb am 26.11.2005 22:00:
> > 2) sudo apt-get remove --purge kubuntu-artwork-usplash

That's huge overkill - a bazooka solution that (as noted) takes out the
kubuntu-desktop metapackage as collateral damage, potentially making
upgrades harder.

> Now, is there a possibility to use ubuntu-desktop, kubuntu-desktop AND
> aptitude at the same time, without kubuntu-usplash?
>
> Maybe s.th. like
>
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure usplash
>
> where you can choose the splash would be good!??

There's something exactly like that; and it's the right way to solve
this problem. Usplash uses the alternatives system to allow you to pick
which of several equivalents to use if you've got more than one
installed. The brown Ubuntu logo is always installed, so the kubuntu and
xubuntu ones install as a higher priority to they override it on their
respective systems. If you do:

sudo update-alternatives --config usplash-artwork.so

You'll get a nice menu to choose which one you want, and the setting
will persist through upgrades. Once you've chosen you'll need to do the

sudo dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-`uname -r`

thing to actually build your new choice into the initramfs. Also see:
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/USplashCustomizationHowto> for instructions on
making your own splash image, but note that that page doesn't mention
the alternatives system (yet - I'll fix that in a mo).

Ewan