CUPS Print Control

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 17:33:08 UTC 2005

On 11/22/05, Ashwani Jain <ashwani at gisil.com> wrote:

>     I am trying to setup a print server in linux Ubuntu 5.10 which can do
> print accounting, i.e do page count for each job thats printed on each
> locally attached printer, log the IP / hostname who sent the print job etc.
>
> Please help.  I want to know how to do it using CUPS.  I could not find
> any good documentation where I could find the solution and probably thats
> the week point of Linux that documentations are not centralised.  Any way
> please help if you know about it.  Just give me some good link which can
> solve the problem

In this case the weak point isn't with the documentation -- CUPS is VERY
extensively documented, both with files installed on your system and at
http://www.cups.org/ BUT the implementation information is lacking -- I
suspect that's the primary way the CUPS folks earn their consulting fees.

I believe there are some helpful books on the subject -- check the O'Reilly
web site http://www.oreilly.com/ -- I see from a few searches they have some
free articles available too.