dist-upgrade installed new kernel = KERNEL PANIC

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Wed Nov 23 11:58:10 UTC 2005

Great.  That's just super.  I noticed the Bugtraq message (USN-219-1) about
a new kernel to fix some vulnerabilties so like a good little boy I go
through the "apt-get update && apt-get -u dist-upgrade" and voila.  New
kernel, grub updated, now reboot.

Reboot gets as far as uncompressing the kernel (2.6.12-10-686) then trying
to load the initrd.  It then barfs saying it ran out of compressed data and
can't find the root file system.  Surprise, surprise.

This will teach me for doing an update the night before a customer demo.
Sigh.  With a bit of luck, I *might* get this fixed before I fly out in 5
hours time.

Beware - the packages appear borked!

James
--
You are an excellent tactician, Captain.  You let your second in
command attack while you sit and watch for weakness.