Single Install CD ISO :-)

Michael Beattie mtbeedee at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 20:13:54 UTC 2005

On 11/22/05, sahutoglu sonmez <sahutsonmez at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > You could always go fetch the debs from
> > http://us.archive.ubuntu.com
> > and burn them to a disc.
>
> I am a newbie and Always wanted to do something like
> that. So if get the deb files and burn them to a cd
> (without any extra effort only burn them as datat
> files) then when I insert the cd into the cdrom and
> add the cd to repository I will be able to add
> programs from the cd. Is that right?
> How about having them on a hard drive instead of the
> cd. Can I add a hard drive or folder as one of
> repository too?
> Thanks in advance

No, not quite.  You need to have a directory tree set up the way apt
expects.  So like dists/breezy/main/binary-i386/

And then in that place, you have Packages.gz Packages.bz2 and Release.
 Apt gets these things and knows what version you are looking at and
which version of the packages go along with this release and then you
can go to like pool/main/[letter] to find the package you want.

Take a look under http://us.archive.ubuntu.com