audio cd weirdness

Kim Briggs patiodragon at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 00:24:09 UTC 2005

On 11/20/05, ben miller <wheelscribe at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 19 November 2005 4:50 pm, Marek Pawinski wrote:
> > On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 12:01 -0600, ben miller wrote:
> > > I just attempted to play a brand new CD on my computer. Under Gnome, it
> > > wouldn't play with any application - CD Player, Totem, Sound Juicer, etc.
> > > Nothing but dead air. Under KDE, it would play with KsCD if that was the
> > > first application I used. It I tried to play it with Amarok first I'd get
> > > dead air and then if I tried to play it with KsCD. Any clues?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > puzzled Ben
> >
> > Does it say on the CD cover "will not play on pc or mac" ? maybe it's
> > one of those cd's that will play on cd players only, but there is a way
> > around that :-)
>

> It doesn't. There's only a giant FBI anti-piracy warning on the back. I
> haven't seen that before, but I haven't bought many new CDs lately.
>
> == Ben

Hi Ben,

I don't know anything about DRM and the like, but have you always been
the same user when you tried to play the CD?  It doesn't say in your
email whether you are playing other CD's without problems or not.
There can be a problem accessing the hardware if users are not members
of the "cdrom" group.

my 0.02USD.
--
http://kimbriggs.com