boot logs

Karl Hegbloom hegbloom at pdx.edu
Sun Nov 20 19:32:00 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-23 at 08:54 +0100, Eamonn Sullivan wrote:
> If not, you may need to have to enable the boot log. On my (breezy)
> system, /etc/default/bootlogd has BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=No. Try changing
> that to Yes and restarting.

Unfortunately, 'bootlogd' does not work right now.  It needs a
programmer to spend some time working on it, to make it work again.  The
problem is that it does not presently have the ability to redirect the
console output as it should.  From what I gather, there's an IOCTL in
some versions of Unix that would allow this, but that's missing in Linux
for some reason.  There are patches out there for adding it to the
kernel, but perhaps it's not in there for a reason?  I ran out of time
the day I investigated it.  (I'm in college.)

--
Karl Hegbloom <hegbloom at pdx.edu>