[OT] GIMP howto ??

Shot - Piotr Szotkowski shot at hot.pl
Fri Nov 18 18:09:42 UTC 2005

Hello.

Luca Manganelli:

> On 11/18/05, Shot - Piotr Szotkowski <shot at hot.pl> wrote:

>> Luca Manganelli:

>>> if I do a "Image -> Size ... " (not Scale) to enlarge work area,
>>> GIMP fills the additional area with an (much hated) alpha fill.

>>> How can fill it with, for example, black color?

>> By changing the background colour (in the toolbox window) to black
>> and then making the layer you're editing expand to image size.

> I tried to do this but it does not work.
> Can you explain me the right steps to do it?

Image | Canvas Size... -> change the size
Layer | Layer to Image Size -> expands the current layer to image size

The transparent areas are filled with the current background colour, so
you have to set it accordingly in the main ('The GIMP') window (look for
the two overlapping rectangles, by default set to black (foreground) and
white (background).

Cheers,
-- Shot
--
 This host is a black hole at HTTP wavelengths. GETs go in, and nothing comes
 out, not even Hawking radiation.          -- Graaagh the Mighty, rgr.angband