Ubuntu in my Office

Aaron Kiley aaron.kiley at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 07:03:21 UTC 2005

Pybe wrote:

> On 16/11/05, *Aaron Kiley* <aaron.kiley at gmail.com
> <mailto:aaron.kiley at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi guys,
>
>     First post to the group so go easy on me please.
>
>     I have worked in my office now for almost a year, and in that time
>     I have converted everone over to FireFox, now, in our call centre
>     we have bought a whole load of new PCs, with which I am going to
>     be responsible for.
>
>     Now my problem is this, I have managed to convince the Director
>     that we should be putting Linux on these machines, as it would
>     work out cheaper and would be easier for me to maintain. (I am not
>     a noob or anything like that) I am a compitent user of Linux but
>     not an IT administrator.....
>
>     However, my fav distro is Ubuntu, I tried to install it on the pc
>     but it is telling me it cant find a partinion to edit or install on.
>
>     The drive works on the ubuntu live CD but not during installation,
>     its located at /dev/sda
>
>     The modell number of the computer is a Dell Optiplex GX520....
>
>     Now the other isssue is I am up agaist 2 other distros I have to
>     install, So I want to make ubuntu look its best, the others I am
>     up against are Fedora 4 and Suse 10.0
>
>     On the Dell PC the controller is an Intel 82801GB Serial ATA
>     Storage Controller......... The ubuntu CD does not seem to have
>     been compiled with this support in the install kernel.
>
>     Any help would be great.
>
>     Also, as a side note, I only want to have a basic user account
>     install, and once logged in the first thing that loads is a
>     webpage and the user will not have any other access except to the
>     one page in firefox. Is that possible.
>
>     Sorry for making my first post a long one, but its something I
>     really need to get sorted out soon.
>

> Using a full blown install sounds  a bit overkill for just using
> firefox. I would suggest that you either use something like
> http://kioskcd.com/ which I have running on the internet access pc's
> in the canteen at our office's on p3 550 machines with 256mb ram, or
> use ltsp. Either way you can sell the new pc's and use the money left
> after buying some much cheaper ones for the christmas party.
>
> HTH
> Pybe

Hey there, thanks for this, this sounds like something I would be
interested in, I dont want to have to boot over a network, and this
sounds quick and simple, the other benifit being that the computer will
refresh once you reboot and noone can put stuff on it.

One of the problems we hade before was that people were using p2p stuff
at work and downloading music.

Thanks Pybe