MPlayer being Choppy

Noah Dain noahdain at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 01:56:34 UTC 2005

On 11/16/05, Wade Smart <wade at wadesmart.com> wrote:
> 11162005 1434 GMT-5
>
> Noah, do you mean to say that on video output, that the statement should
> be changed to read: vo=vx  instead of vo=vx,x11

I had choppy playback in the mozilla embedded player as well as
stand-alone mplayer.  The combination of settings fixed it for me.

here's my ~/.mplayer/mplayer-plugin.conf:

vo=xv
ao=oss
cachesize=898
cache-percent=15
dload-dir=/home/ndain/download

these are also the 'usual' setttings i've used with mplayer over the
past few years and seem to give the best results for reliabilty with
sufficient performance.  Also, trying out oss instead of alsa mode for
a buggy acting app is usually a good idea, as alsa hasn't been adopted
fully by many apps, and support is often heavily 'work-in-progress'.

> Are you saying that I should choose one of the specs instead of having
> several?

I can't imagine it would make any difference, but I've not read
mplayer's codec selection code, soo