Ubuntu in my Office

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 20:46:46 UTC 2005

On 11/16/05, Jean-Eric Cuendet <jec at rptec.ch> wrote:

> And why not use a K12LTSP setup. A network server containing an image of
> the install and sharing it with clients that just have a NetCard (they
> boot through it) and a hard disk for temp files.
> This is very secure (no option to install local software), clean (you
> can wipe the disk between each boot) and adding new workstations is just
> a matter of buying new ones and telling them to boot on the network! (Do
> that in the machine BIOS, as you would tell them to boot on CD or HDD)
>
> This is *hyper* nice for your kind of setup.
> -jec

I second this recommendation! For this kind of single-use computer,
LTSP is perfect in many ways.

If you're also trying to limit what they can do within Firefox, I
highly recommend you try OpenKiosk, an extension (which actually only
works in Mozilla, not Firefox, but they're very similar) that gives
you very good control over what the browser can do:

http://mozdevgroup/clients/bm/