Ubuntu in my Office

Aaron Kiley aaron.kiley at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 09:18:03 UTC 2005

Hi guys,

First post to the group so go easy on me please.

I have worked in my office now for almost a year, and in that time I have
converted everone over to FireFox, now, in our call centre we have bought a
whole load of new PCs, with which I am going to be responsible for.

Now my problem is this, I have managed to convince the Director that we
should be putting Linux on these machines, as it would work out cheaper and
would be easier for me to maintain. (I am not a noob or anything like that)
I am a compitent user of Linux but not an IT administrator.....

However, my fav distro is Ubuntu, I tried to install it on the pc but it is
telling me it cant find a partinion to edit or install on.

The drive works on the ubuntu live CD but not during installation, its
located at /dev/sda

The modell number of the computer is a Dell Optiplex GX520....

Now the other isssue is I am up agaist 2 other distros I have to install, So
I want to make ubuntu look its best, the others I am up against are Fedora 4
and Suse 10.0

On the Dell PC the controller is an Intel 82801GB Serial ATA Storage
Controller......... The ubuntu CD does not seem to have been compiled with
this support in the install kernel.

Any help would be great.

Also, as a side note, I only want to have a basic user account install, and
once logged in the first thing that loads is a webpage and the user will not
have any other access except to the one page in firefox. Is that possible.

Sorry for making my first post a long one, but its something I really need
to get sorted out soon.

Aaron