Installing nVidia Drivers

John W Redelfs jredelfs at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 23:45:38 UTC 2005

I just installed Ubuntu, and it is totally cool!  But I've hit a snag.
 I've downloaded the latest nVidia driver for my graphics card onto my
Desktop, and I can get the install script to run using sudo in a
terminal.  But I get a screen saying it cannot find ld and to make
sure I have binutils installed and that ld is in the path.

How do I check to make sure I have binutils installed?  Where do I get
binutils if I don't haved it?  Can I use sudo from my user account to
install binutils?  Which directory do I install it in?  Can I use sudo
to put ld in the path?  What file do I edit, and where do I find it?

Can you tell that I haven't done much with Linux lately?  It seems
like I've forgotten almost everything.  What is the quickest way for
me to get back up to speed?

--
Your friend and brother,
John W. Redelfs, jredelfs at gmail.com