How to make my ubuntu a part of Win NT domain?

Zach uid000 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 21:20:25 UTC 2005

Maybe the original poster can clarify what he meant, but he did say "
make my ubuntu a part of WinNT domain," and the correct answer to that
is to configure pam to use winbind--assuming it's an NT4 domain.  If
it's an AD domain, then linux can authenticate against it like it
would authenticate against any LDAP/Kerberos authentication mechanism.

Certainly, you don't *have* to join the domain in order to access
domain resources, such as shares--this is true even with windows.

However to use network-based authentication rather than local
authentication, allowing you to access network resources
transparently, then joining the domain is appropriate.

As far as the observation: "joining the domain allows others to
connect to YOUR shares,"  That's not what being part of a domain is
about.  It means using centrally managed network based user accounts
as opposed to locally managed accounts that are unique to each
machine.

If you don't have samba configured with any shares, then you don't
have any shares for others to connect to.  And if you do have shares
configured then only users to whom you have granted permission may
acccess them.

The samba documentation is really quite good.  Please check it out.
It addresses all these things.