gv

Christoph Bier christoph.bier at web.de
Mon Nov 14 23:41:14 UTC 2005

Gary Hodges schrieb am 14.11.2005 22:17:

> On 11/14/05, Lee Braiden <lee_b at digitalunleashed.com> wrote:
>
>>On Monday 14 November 2005 19:57, Gary Hodges wrote:
>>
>>>Just fired up gv for the first time with my newish Kubuntu install.  I
>>>used gv a lot with SuSE the past two years.  I have multi-page
>>>postscript plots I produce with IDL.  On each page I add a title that
>>>is no longer showing up with gv on Kubuntu like it did under SuSE.
>>>The title is shown with gs.  Also, gv is noticeably slower with
>>>Kubuntu, but I can likely live with that.  Need the titles though!
>>
>>You'll might have better luck with KGhostView and/or KPDF (I think they both
>>read postscript *and* pdfs to different degrees; not sure).
>
> Thanks for the reply.  KGhostView is a suitable replacement for the
> time being.  I may need to retract my previous statement about living
> with the slower response.  KGhostView and gv are both slow as compared
> to gv with SuSE.  Might the slowness be a Xfree86 vs Xorg thing?  I'm
> running the same hardware.  Would a faster video card "fix" this?

It may be a Xorg thing. I have similar problems with gqview and
gthumb that did not occur with Debian Sarge on the same hardware and
I am preparing an email to this list (because of lack of time it's
unfinished for weeks ...). So, I'm just curious about answers to
your email. But IMHO buying new hardware should not be the solution.

Regards,
    Christoph
--
+++ Typografie-Regeln: http://www.zvisionwelt.de/typokurz.pdf (1.4)