Where is wlan0, I've only got ethX

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Nov 14 14:49:09 UTC 2005

Jay Strauss wrote:

>> Did you configure wireless as your primary network connection during
>> the install?
>
> No I used my wired as the primary.  I couldn't figure out how to use the
> wireless as my primary.  My access point is WPA and the ubuntu
> installation/configuration screen only talked about WEP.  Where you able
> to do WPA during the install?  If so, how?
>
>> Are the hostap-utils also installed? (dpkg -l hostap-utils)
>
> Yes

So are you actually using your computer as an AP?

> Actually, it's working now.  I'm configuring eth2 with wpa_supplicant.

You have to.  WPA only works with a supplicant.  Yes, ubuntu should install
wpa_supplicant if it detects a wireless device at install time, but iirc it
doesn't.  <blatantOpinion>It shouldn't even _talk_ about as useless a
security method as WEP.</blatantOpinion>

> The weird thing doesn't work right after booting, about 1 min after boot
> my network starts to work.

Well, networks _don't_ work right after booting - at the very least not
until /etc/init.d/networking runs.  If it's being activated by hotplug,
then it starts even later and if it's being activated by ifplugd (what I'd
do) then it's even later still.  I'm not sure how significant it would be
that it takes a minute - I guess it depends when you started counting :-)

> Also I'm not sure about the /etc/network/interfaces should I be using the
> hotplug stanzas or just setting the eth2 to "auto".  I'm going to play
> around with this part.

I don't use either hotplug or auto.  I find it much more reliable to use
ifplugd.  When it detects either a linkbeat (on the wired connection) or a
connection to an AP it uses ifup to start the interface.  It depends
whether you're really using the machine as an AP.
--
derek