(off topic question) AMD Sempron vs. Intel Celeron

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Mon Nov 14 03:38:44 UTC 2005

Hello Soo-Hyun,

SHC> I've always built my PC with AMD XP (something between 2400+ to
SHC> 2800+). I have looked for a website to buy one of these, but realised
SHC> that AMD seems to change its product line from XP to Sempron. So, I
SHC> have looked for Intel Cerelon D processors to compare with AMD
SHC> Sempron.

Well, in my humble opinion it's wasted energy to go micro-analyze
CPU's for general use.. Just get whatever's in the sweet spot price :
performance wise and 6 months later the difference between your
current most highest-end choice and your bottommest-end choice will
seem completely insignificant.

Also keep in mind that not a lot of typical computer use is
CPU-intensive, and the CPU is not the most likely thing to be the
bottle-neck in making a system feel 'slow'.

They're just CPU's;  If you want to spend some time pondering
something then I'd make sure I'd get a gfx card that Ubuntu likes but
that's not over-qualified with 3D power you won't use.

Cheers,
Chanchao