Solaris: The Most Advanced OS?

Lee Braiden lee_b at digitalunleashed.com
Sun Nov 13 10:10:52 UTC 2005

On Monday 07 November 2005 13:47, Paul Smith wrote:
> For desktops, and even smaller servers, I really prefer Linux.  Sure,
> 99% of the tools on Linux can also be compiled for Solaris.  But it's
> WORK to do that!

Personally, it's all about the Freedom for me.  If I was going to use
something GPL-incompatible, it'd probably be windows.  Yes, it's a crappy OS,
but it's popular, and it works for the most part.  I was actually very
interested in trying GNU/Solaris, until I read the gnusol's comments in
debian forums.  They really don't seem to get the Free Software aspect at
all, and I'm not sure that solaris is compatible with Software Freedom at
all.

> Also, no
> partitions will be unmounted until every partition on the server is
> ready to be unmounted.  Combined with the fact that Linux gets pretty
> unstable/unhappy with >1280 or so NFS mounts and you've got problems in
> large enterprise spaces: we have big EMC NFS fileservers that export
> LOTS of partitions and we run into this all the time at some of our
> sites.

Why export so many partitions?  Can't you just export one with all the
relevant data, and mount --bind it or symlink it wherever needed?

> I use Linux all day every day, and Solaris less and less... but if Linux
> could just focus on a few "enterprise-level" areas like the above (NFS,
> automount, NIS for _big_ environments) and clean up some things it would
> be sooooo much better.

I guess the problem there is that they don't have access to many enterprises
with your specific needs, to test their work on.  You should get in touch
with kernel developers and arrange something mutually beneficial.

--
Lee Braiden
http://www.DigitalUnleashed.com