Breezy print probs and others

squareyes squareyes at internode.on.net
Sat Nov 12 22:36:18 UTC 2005

Hi all,
having many problems with Breezy.
Printer setup is strange,

If I boot with printer (HP 1100 laserjet)
switched off, adding new printer doesn't find it, and starts on
Parallel Port #1 (Cannon) selecting Parallel port #1 and setting up
results in paper feeding nonstop when I try to print anything.
The only way to stop it is to turn printer off and re-boot.

If I turn printer on before booting, on setting up new printer it
shows in the Printer Port box, "hp_no_device found" continuing setup
using this results in printer doing nothing, selecting "Parallel Port#1"
and setting up results in continuous paper feeding requiring a re-boot.
It appears to find the printer and not find it at the same time.

I had no problems with Hoary, found it set it up and it just worked.
Have the drivers for this printer been changed, or do I need to install
anything else? Could my install CD be faulty, as other problems are
occurring that I wouldn't expect in a later version of Ubuntu.
Synaptic freezing and losing some of the page, usually corrects itself
in 30secs.
No sound on mpg's (totem-xine), wmv's are OK, cd player plays OK.
Firefox behaving erratically
Log Out freezes often, loses the panel, top and bottom, and freezes.

Is there any way I can use the Hoary CD to go back to Hoary, am on dial
up, and would like to avoid long sessions downloading software, ties up
my phone.

Any suggestions welcome, thanks,
Take Care
Winton