breezy LVM and samba questions

'Forum Post ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Sat Nov 12 20:56:58 UTC 2005

Eric S. Johansson Wrote:
> LVM:

> trying to set up multiple drives and logical volumes at installation

> doesn't work well.  so I just set up the boot drive, did the

> installation and start exploring alternatives.  Long story short EVMS

> failed miserably, raid was heavily confused, and LVM wasn't talking to
>

> anybody.  I zeroed out the first five or 10 MB on each drive in the
> raid

> set and raid set up correctly then LVM seemed to go okay after a couple
>

> of tries but I've been getting the "Incorrect metadata area header

> checksum"  message.  Documentation says this is bad but I can't figure
>

> out how to get rid of it.

> suggestions would be welcome.

Did you, by chance, ever figure this out?  I've been fighting the same
problem to no avail.  It's a piece of cake to find other references to
this problem online, and even responses saying you should fix that, but
I haven't figured out how to fix it yet either.  I made the mistake of
ignoring it in an install I'd been running on, and LVM (with everything
but /boot on it) just fell to pieces when I started trying to actually
use it (by simply adding some disks).  Several consecutive test
installs later, and I still can't figure out how to install *to* LVM
without getting those resulting errors.  I've yet to do an install
without LVM and set it up later, because I was hoping to be able to
take advantage of LVM's features for the OS as well (/, swap, /tmp,
/var, /usr & /home), but that's my next step.

I just finished letting the installer (5.10) use all of its defaults
for using all of the first disk for LVM (so, 3GB swap, and everything
else for /, formatted as ext3 (though I'd been trying reiserfs and
xfs)).  I was surprised it didn't create a /boot, and now that it's
trying to reboot, it can't, I'm guessing because the master boot record
doesn't know know how to read the LVM by itself.  So I'm wondering if
that's a bug in the installer, as I've never encountered that when I
include a /boot, but have just now run into it twice consecutively.

Lastly (and I apologize for the length of this comment, but this part's
very quick, I promise =), do you remember what syntax you use dwith dd
to zero the beginning of the disk?

Thanks a ton for any pointers!

--
ttrygve