Openoffice Base

neil woolford lists at
Sat Nov 12 18:44:17 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-11-12 at 17:51 +0000, Norman Silverstone wrote:
> Has anyone tried to use Openoffice Base?

Yes, and it looks good, but...

>  I decided to have a look at it
> and met problems. I got as far as the screen asking me to select what
> form I wanted and on attempting to select, Openoffice froze. the kind of thing that is still happening more than it should.

This is a reply in haste, so no detail, but there is a section about
Base in the forums which does give lots of useful
information including the causes of some crashes plus workarounds.  Much
should be fixed in 2.0.1 which is expected at the end of this month.
2.0.0 which I have running under Windows is tidier than 1.9 129 default
installed under Breezy.

I'm actively looking to replace one or two elderly Paradox databases
with Base.  I'm at the playing stage now, but expect to try for real
once 2.0.1 is out.  It does appear that many of the crash causes are
well understood and on the way to fixed status.  Also, finished
applications are reported to be stable, the bugs are mainly in the
design tools.