In working on installing Cab Extract, Install Problem

TreeBoy ubuntu at petethetree.co.uk
Thu Nov 10 17:43:13 UTC 2005

On Thursday 10 Nov 2005 01:29, Wade Smart wrote:
> 11092005 1927 GMT-5
>
> Im installing Cabextract and I ran into a little problem:
> wadesmart at wadesmart:~/Downloads/Applications$ cd cabextract-1.1
> wadesmart at wadesmart:~/Downloads/Applications/cabextract-1.1$ ./configure
> checking for gawk... no
> checking for mawk... mawk
> checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no
> checking for gcc... no
> checking for cc... no
> checking for cc... no
> checking for cl... no
> configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
> See `config.log' for more details.
> wadesmart at wadesmart:~/Downloads/Applications/cabextract-1.1$
>
> Am I reading this to mean I need to install a C compiler.
>
> Wade

Hello, again Wade.

You should not ever need to compile anything from source!

*Always* try the repo apps first and then, if that fails, try the install from
source. You can always back out of the Debian package, but not always the
"make install".

As it is, if this is for the wine problem dan and I responded to before, then
you don;t need this version. The one in the repos is fine.

Cheers,