HP Laptop 64 bit question

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Thu Nov 10 01:04:04 UTC 2005

On Thursday 10 November 2005 09:41, Mario Splivalo wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 07:40 +1100, James Gray wrote:
> > On Thursday 10 November 2005 03:07, Jon Dixon wrote:
> > > Hi all
> > >
> > > My new laptop, HP zd8290, has a broadcom chipset (4318 rev 02) for the
> > > wireless.
> > >
> > > Am gradually working through peoples ideas on this, and apparently
> > > 32-bit with ndiswrapper isn't much of a problem.
> > >
> > > Has anyone been successful with this at all, and if so which way worked
> > > for them?
> >
> > If you are running a 64bit kernel, you wont get much milage from
> > ndiswrapper. Windows drivers are  32bit, meaning they can only be linked
> > against a 32bit kernel.  To my knowledge, ndiswrapper doesn't do any
> > funky 32<->64bit translation etc - I could wrong though.
> >
> > You say it's a HP lappy? My HP nc6230 has a mini-PCI slot for the wifi.
> > If yours has the same setup, just rip out the crappy broadcom and drop in
> > an Intel Pro Wireless 2100/2200/2195.  They are supported on both 32 and
> > 64bit kernels and you can get a brand new IPW2200 from eBay for <USD$30.
>
> So, you don't need a ndiswrapper for Intel Pro card?

No - the IPW2100/2200/2195 are all supported natively in Linux.  The only
difficulty is that Intel provide a binary-only firmware for the IPW cards.
But as this code is used by the card, it's not 32/64bit specific.  Have a
look at:
http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/

The current Ubuntu has the 1.0.6 driver already in the default kernel:
ipw2200: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver, 1.0.6
ipw2200: Copyright(c) 2003-2004 Intel Corporation
ipw2200: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection

...so basically everything on the card works now.  Even the fancy blue LED and
wireless power button on the laptop :)  WPA works where I've tried it and WEP
is a no-brainer.  Everything was detected out of the box and I'm very pleased
with it all.

> Do you, by any chance, know about a USB wireless adapter that runs
> without ndiswrapper?

None specifically, but anything *should* work.  Whether or not your specific
model works correctly is another question though.  Always check the return
policy at shops where you buy your kit - just in case it doesn't work in
Linux :)

Cheers,

James
--
<KnaraKat> DalNet is like the special olympics of IRC.  There's a lot of
           drooling goin' on and everyone is a 'winner'.